Re: Possible draft non-free firmware option with SC change

Le Tue, Sep 13, 2022 at 02:37:49PM +0000, Bill Allombert a écrit :
> Le Tue, Sep 13, 2022 at 11:56:07AM +0500, Andrey Rahmatullin a écrit :
> > Do you too agree with the position that having non-free firmware stored in
> > your hardware is better than having it loaded from your OS?
>
> My position is that the laws governing embedded firmware are much
> more favorable to the users than the laws governing freestanding
> firmware.

To gives a random example: firmware-iwlwifi
(by the way the link in packages.d.o to the copyright file does not work
https://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs//non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-nonfree_20210315-3_copyright
return 404
)

* No reverse engineering, decompilation, or disassembly of this software
  is permitted.

This would not be legal for embedded firmware

 THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND
 FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED

You cannot disclaim warranty on hardware. You have to provide statutory
warranty.

Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.