Re: Possible draft non-free firmware option with SC change

Le Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 09:19:59PM +0000, Scott Kitterman a écrit :
> On September 12, 2022 8:23:22 PM UTC, Bill Allombert <ballombe@debian.org> wrote:
> >Le Sun, Sep 11, 2022 at 08:19:26AM +0200, Simon Josefsson a écrit :
> >> The problem is caused by hardware manufacturer chosing to require
> >> non-free works for their use.  The blame for that choice lies on the
> >> hardware manufacturer, not on Debian.  Accepting the blame for someone
> >> else's choices and taking on the responsibility solve the consequences
> >> of that choice seems misguided to me.  It makes it harder for users to
> >> experience the frustration of such hardware themselves.  I disagree they
> >> always get the non-free installer eventually: some end up learning about
> >> the problem and chose better hardware.  Some end up reverse engineering
> >> their hardware, and contributing to a free solution.  Some dislike other
> >> distributions taking a less rigid stance on non-free works, and will
> >> come up with work-arounds to get Debian to work on the hardware.  If
> >> Debian takes on itself to solve the problems with non-free hardware, I
> >> think we are in more difficult position to ask for a change.
> >
> >Seconded.
> >We fought against lack of Linux drivers, then against the lack of free
> >drivers. Now, since in a lot of situation it is not tenable not to
> >provide Linux drivers (because Linux is the dominant server OS),
> >since it is not tenable to provide only non-free drivers (because
> >entreprise distros do not ship them), the move is toward smaller and
> >smaller drivers loading larger and larger non-free firmware.
> >
> >Debian should not trick users into downloading non-free files.
>
> All this is, is a preference for permanent non-free firmware that can't be updated or fixed.  I don't think it serves our users at all.

We should at minima ask that the license of the firmware provides at
least the right afforded by an hardwired firmware with respect to resale,
replacement, statutory warranty and general copyright law.

I have been installing Debian for more than 20 years and I have never needed
to use the non-free installer.

Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.