Re: Possible draft non-free firmware option with SC change

On Thu, 2022-09-08 at 11:55 +0200, Jonathan Carter wrote:

> Such packages are not formally part of the Debian system, bug fixes
> and security updates depend entirely on their upstream developers.
> An added goal I'm trying to achieve with this change is to explain some
> practical consequences of redistributing non-free software. It's not
> like we provide the non-free archives and it's *wink* *wink* kind of
> official because Debian people provide it but it's not, instead it's the
> case that everything that makes Debian great really doesn't apply to
> these packages.

This claim that non-free isn't part of Debian has always made me
slightly uncomfortable, since never appeared to be true to me, so I
feel like we should remove it and replace it with something more clear.
Your version goes part of the way there.

> We encourage software vendors who make use of non-free packages
> to carefully read the licenses of these packages to determine whether
> they can distribute it on their media or products.

This vendor sentence seems like a subset of what we should warn about
though, there is software in non-free that bans commercial use, so not
just redistributors have to worry about it, but plain users too.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise