Re: Possible draft non-free firmware option with SC change

On 9/8/22 00:14, Russ Allbery wrote:
With Steve's change and a few other tweaks to try to make this a bit more
concise:

      5. Works that do not meet our free software standards

      We acknowledge that some of our users require the use of works that
      do not conform to the Debian Free Software Guidelines. We have
      created areas in our archive for these works. The packages in these
      areas are not part of the Debian system, although they have been
      configured for use with Debian. We encourage distributors of Debian
      to read the licenses of the packages in these areas and determine if
      they can distribute the packages on their media. Thus, although
      non-free works are not a part of Debian, we support their use and
      provide infrastructure for non-free packages (such as our bug
      tracking system and mailing lists). The Debian official media may
      include firmware that is otherwise not part of the Debian system to
      enable use of Debian with hardware tha requires such firmware.

nit: typo "tha" should be "that"

I do think this sounds more up-to-date, and getting rid of "CDs" does feel
like an overdue edit.

Yes.

This drops the "we support their use" statement which I think is a bit
confusing; I believe the intention is that we, Debian Developers, support
the non-free packages in the sense that we upload them and answer bug
reports, but it could also be read as "we endorse their use," which we do
not and don't really want to be saying.

Yes.

Either sounds good to me. I slightly prefer the latter, for the reason you said.

--
Richard