Re: Changing how we handle non-free firmware

On Tue, Aug 30, 2022 at 09:22:39AM +0200, Simon Josefsson wrote:
>Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> writes:

>>>Thereby re-inforcing the interpretation that any installer or image with
>>>non-free software on it is not part of the Debian system, but that we
>>>support their use and welcome others to distribute such work.
>>>
>>>==================
>>
>> This last bit of wording is slightly unclear to me. Should *Debian* be
>> allowed to distribute an installer or image with non-free software on
>> it?
>
>Hi Steve.  I'm not sure I can reliably answer -- the distinction between
>"Debian" as the project and "Debian" as the operating system is (for me)
>somewhat blurry and inconsistent throughout the current foundational
>documents, and it is equally unclear (to me) in your question.
>
>Do you intend the Debian OS (which to me includes various installers and
>other auxilliary software that is needed to produce and maintain an OS)
>or the Debian project (which to me is about the community and not the
>deliverable)?  Or is your understanding of the situation different than
>mine so your question really mean different things to us?  I have a
>feeling that is the case, but it is subtle.

To me, saying "we support their use and welcome others to distribute
such work" has an *implicit* suggestion that "the Debian project will
not distribute such work itself". I could be reading more into that
than was intended, so I thought it was worth checking! :-)

>I believe it used to be better in the older social contract which used
>'Debian GNU/Linux' in a couple of places which made it clear that the
>sentence referred to the deliverable and not the community.  That was
>lost a couple of years ago, replacing it with 'Debian' which makes it
>unclear what it refers to.  The website has been similary modified
>throughout the years, leading to the same ambiguity.
>
>Speaking personally (and thus merely as an anecdote), my way to resolve
>this conflict (when I belatedly decided to join as DD) has been that
>'Debian' as an OS is promised to be 100% DFSG free but 'Debian' as a
>project will accept to distribute certain non-free material on its
>servers.  Thus Debian can be labeled as a 100% free OS but Debian as a
>project deals with non-free content but not as a first-class citizen.
>This has lead to forks that don't want to be stuck with the same dilemma
>-- Ubuntu/etc as a non-free variant and gNewSense/PureOS/etc as a free
>variant.  This inconsistency may continue to be both a curse and a
>blessing, allowing Debian to be relevant to both worlds.

Right, thanks for clarifying here!

>I agree with you that improving clarity on this topic will be a good
>thing.  Fixing that is outside of my current goals though, as what I
>want to achieve is to see Debian continue to deliver a 100% DFSG-free
>Debian OS.  It makes me sad to see such efforts to stop that.

ACK, understood. It doesn't make me happy *either* that we're in this
situation, but there are often tradeoffs to be made where we collide
with the outside world. :-(

Who needs computer imagery when you've got Brian Blessed?