Re: Changing how we handle non-free firmware

On Mon, Aug 29, 2022 at 09:49:14PM +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> Hi Simon!
>
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2022 at 09:06:38AM +0200, Simon Josefsson wrote:

> >Thereby re-inforcing the interpretation that any installer or image with
> >non-free software on it is not part of the Debian system, but that we
> >support their use and welcome others to distribute such work.

> This last bit of wording is slightly unclear to me. Should *Debian* be
> allowed to distribute an installer or image with non-free software on
> it?

Debian already does that. Anything available for download on *.debian.org is in
fact distributed by Debian. The label "unofficial" doesn't change that.
My point is that the last paragraph in Simon J's proposal correctly reflects
the current reality. (But I fail to see the value of Simon J's proposal on the
ballot because it is in my understanding equivalent with "further discussion" /
"none of the above" which is already on the ballot.)