Re: Changing how we handle non-free firmware

On Tue, Aug 23, 2022 at 11:47:34AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
>On Mon, 2022-08-22 at 12:32 -0500, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
>
>> I'm only suggesting to modify the third paragraph, offering to produce
>> two sets of images (fully-free and with-non-free-firmware), being the
>> later more prominent.
>
>Is the Debian Images team willing to continue to produce the images
>containing only packages from main?
>
>I understood from the initial blog post they aren't willing to do that.

I'd personally rather *not* do that, but if that'w what the project
wants then it'll happen. The amount of extra work is not huge; we're
already doing similar with the second set of non-free images
anyway. I'm more interested in streamlining the choice for the sake of
users, tbh.

>I wouldn't want Debian to vote for them to work on fully-free images if
>they still don't want to do that, so I'm not sure of the practicality
>of this proposal and so I would find it hard to rank it on the ballot.
>
>PS: this seems similar to but less detailed than my earlier proposal:
>
>https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/683a7c0e69b081aae8c46bd4027bf7537475624a.camel@debian.org

It's similar, agreed.

"When C++ is your hammer, everything looks like a thumb." -- Steven M. Haflich