Re: Changing how we handle non-free firmware

Ahoy,

On Fri, Aug 19, 2022 at 11:20:07AM +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> Hmmm, maybe. To clarify: are you thinking about:
>
>  * adding an option to not install the firmware while the installation
>    happens; or
>  * adding a (boot?) option to not load it once the new system is
>    installed and booted
>
> ? I'm not sure the latter is much use, so I'm thinking you mean the
> former. I think we can do that (in expert mode / low-prio debconf
> question?) as part of what we're looking at, but I'm not 100% sure it
> necessarily has to be spelled out in this much detail in the GR?

Yep, you got it.

Basically I was thinking that since you sensibly spelled out that there
will be a boot-time method to disable this - in effect requiring it of
the resulting implementation - it would make sense to spell out the same
for install-time too. I think it's a similar level of detail, in that if
we're requiring a method to not load non-free-firmware in the
installation environment then the same holds for keeping it out of the
target system too.

I'd imagined something like

  ...where possible we will include ways for users to disable this at
  boot-time (boot menu option, kernel command line etc.) and
  install-time (e.g. via a low-priority Debconf question which can be
  preseeded or shown in expert mode)...

(Implementation details:

  * low prio debconf question would be great I think
  * if you've skipped at installation-media-boot time that could imply
    skipping at install time too)

But just to be clear: not a blocker for me in any sense. I'm sure this
kind of thing will end up being done *anyway* regardless of whether the
GR itself requires it.

Iain Lane                                  [ iain@orangesquash.org.uk ]
Debian Developer                                   [ laney@debian.org ]
Ubuntu Developer                                   [ laney@ubuntu.com ]