Re: General Resolution: Liquidate donated assets as soon as possible

On Mon, Jun 20, 2022 at 12:32 AM Louis-Philippe Véronneau
<pollo@debian.org> wrote:

> On 2022-06-19 05 h 42, Holger Levsen wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 18, 2022 at 07:43:06PM -0400, Louis-Philippe Véronneau wrote:
> >> ==== Text of GR ====
> >>
> >> Donations to the Debian project of assets other than the TO's currency
> >> of choice should be liquidated as soon as possible.
> >>
> >> ==== End Text of GR ====
> >
> > what does that even mean?
> >
> > also, is there a rationale? and a benefit? and ideas, how to?
>
> We had a nice discussion on debian-private (the thread is named
> "Volatile assets, Debian money and SPI"), so I didn't feel I needed to
> have a long text explaining the rationale.

If you don't like "volatile", I guess you mean it's better to choose
gold, silver, and oil.

> For those not on that list, the TL;DR would be: a kind donor gave Debian
> stock (SPDR S&P 500 trust ETFs) and SPI has been holding on to it since
> then.

I think holding S&P 500 ETF can make hedging towards inflation for the
long term.
Although I know lately it's declining due to a few facts.

> For multiple reasons, I believe such volatile assets should be sold as
> soon as possible instead of holding on to it :)
>
> As for "how to", that's up to TOs and their local law. If they don't
> want to bother having a mechanism to sell non-fiat financial assets that
> people give them, they can decide not to accept those kind of donations.

It's hard to define "volatile assets", or "non-volatile assets". You
can always find the exceptions.
So I think keeping diversity of the assets Debian holds can make the
project better, rather than just trusting a few types of printed paper
from the governments or private organizations.

Roger Shimizu, GMT +9 Tokyo
PGP/GPG: 4096R/6C6ACD6417B3ACB1