Our users and free software

On Wed, Apr 06, 2022 at 10:19:47AM +0200, Gerardo Ballabio wrote:
> > "Our priorities are our users and Free Software" means that, in our decision
> making and our governance we should be oriented FIRST towards users and do
> what is good for the people who are using our software; and that our SECOND
> priority, only when not in conflict in the first, is to promote Free
> Software.
>
> I agree with your message generally, and this might be only a minor
> point -- but as I read that sentence, it doesn't say that our users
> come FIRST and free software comes SECOND. To me, it says that we have
> two priorities, with no particular ranking specified between them. The
> order in which they are listed doesn't necessarily imply a ranking and
> I don't think that was intended.
>
> Of course software is only useful as long as it has users, so it may
> be argued that users are "more important". But what you say seems to
> go quite further than that. If users' needs have higher priority and
> free software counts "only when not in conflict", then why isn't
> Debian shipping non-free drivers?
That statement is indeed a well-known stumbling stone as different people
interpret it in different ways and use it as a justification for various
decisions. "Why we only (officially) ship ISOs that are useless to many of
our users if they are our FIRST priority" is indeed one of these things
where this statement is often mentioned.

--
WBR, wRAR