Re: General resolution: Condemn Russian invasion of the Ukraine

On Thu, Mar 31, 2022 at 12:31:18PM +0200, Julian Andres Klode wrote:
> Under 4.1.5 of the Constitution, the developers by way of GR are the
> body who has the power to issue nontechnical statements.
>
> This is a proposal for Debian to issue a statement on an
> issue of the day as given as an example, the recent invasion
> of Ukraine.
>
> ==== Text of GR ====
>
> The Debian project issues the following statement:
>
> The Debian project strongly condemns the invasion of Ukraine by
> Russia. The Debian projects affirms that Ukrain is a souvereign
> nation which includes the Donbas regions of Luhansk, as well as
> Crimea, which has already been illegaly annexed by Russia.

In the previous GR I offered an amendment:

2) General resolutions that probe developpers opinions about
non-technical issues outside the social contract are discouraged.

I also wrote
""
For the record, I am not actually in favor of holding secret votes, even
thought I fully agree with the developpers who felt that voting might
open them to abuse, because the issues raised by GR 2021_002 are much
more serious than the secret vote issue, viz, that the Debian project is
not the collection of opinions of its members since the members only
agreed to fulfill the social contract when acting on behalf of Debian
and not in general, and that their opinions outside of this is a private
matter that must not be probbed, and that even the agregate result of
the vote is already leaking information that the Debian project has no
purpose to gather and publish.
""

It seems it is necessarry to repeat it...

In this instance, Debian taking a public position on this could lead
to harm toward some Debian members, independently of their vote and
is unlikely to achieve much.

Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.