Re: General resolution: Condemn Russian invasion of the Ukraine

On Thu, Mar 31, 2022 at 03:46:46PM +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 31, 2022 at 04:17:42PM +0300, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 31, 2022 at 12:31:18PM +0200, Julian Andres Klode wrote:
> > > Under 4.1.5 of the Constitution, the developers by way of GR are the
> > > body who has the power to issue nontechnical statements.
> > >
> > > This is a proposal for Debian to issue a statement on an
> > > issue of the day as given as an example, the recent invasion
> > > of Ukraine.
> > >
> > > ==== Text of GR ====
> > >
> > > The Debian project issues the following statement:
> > >
> > > The Debian project strongly condemns the invasion of Ukraine by
> > > Russia. The Debian projects affirms that Ukrain is a souvereign
> > > nation which includes the Donbas regions of Luhansk, as well as
> > > Crimea, which has already been illegaly annexed by Russia.
> >
> > I do not believe that Debian starting issuing such statements for
> > political issues of the day would be a good idea.
> >

> I think this is a good position, especially in this case.
>
> We have Debian developers and users in Ukraine and Russia: hostilities continue.
> If the project were to endorse this, you might put people in a dangerous
> situation - in an area subject to Russian control, anybody involved with
> Debian, even peripherally, would be breaking Russian law if the above
> passed and might be subject to 15 years imprisonment.
> [A factual statement with no further judgment].

Can you provide a source? Regardless though, I can imagine a crumbling
regime to do basically anything, and this is certainly a valid point,
and also a problem for any of our Russian DDs if they were to face priso
for association with an enemy organisation or whatever.

> If this is a precedent, would you feel as happy to make a value call on
> the rights of the Karens / Rohinggya in Myanmar? The Hmong across SE Asian
> borders? Strong feelings about Taiwanese status, flag, designation have
> already caused issues in Debian and other Linux distributions.

At least for Taiwan and Kosovo, I think that by holding DebConfs in
those places and engaging with their self-determined governments we
have de-facto accepted them as self-determined sovereign nations.

ubuntu core developer                              i speak de, en