Re: General resolution: Condemn Russian invasion of the Ukraine

On Thu, Mar 31, 2022 at 04:17:42PM +0300, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 31, 2022 at 12:31:18PM +0200, Julian Andres Klode wrote:
> > Under 4.1.5 of the Constitution, the developers by way of GR are the
> > body who has the power to issue nontechnical statements.
> >
> > This is a proposal for Debian to issue a statement on an
> > issue of the day as given as an example, the recent invasion
> > of Ukraine.
> >
> > ==== Text of GR ====
> >
> > The Debian project issues the following statement:
> >
> > The Debian project strongly condemns the invasion of Ukraine by
> > Russia. The Debian projects affirms that Ukrain is a souvereign
> > nation which includes the Donbas regions of Luhansk, as well as
> > Crimea, which has already been illegaly annexed by Russia.
>
> I do not believe that Debian starting issuing such statements for
> political issues of the day would be a good idea.

I think this is a good position, especially in this case.

We have Debian developers and users in Ukraine and Russia: hostilities continue.
If the project were to endorse this, you might put people in a dangerous
situation - in an area subject to Russian control, anybody involved with
Debian, even peripherally, would be breaking Russian law if the above
passed and might be subject to 15 years imprisonment.
[A factual statement with no further judgment].

If this is a precedent, would you feel as happy to make a value call on
the rights of the Karens / Rohinggya in Myanmar? The Hmong across SE Asian
borders? Strong feelings about Taiwanese status, flag, designation have
already caused issues in Debian and other Linux distributions.

Individual manifestations of support, actions, speaking up [subject to
whatever your local laws say about freedom of speech, as ever] - yes
A trans national project such as Debian may find this especially difficult.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater