Re: Question to all candidates: registering Debian as an organization

On 3/24/22 15:45, Sam Hartman wrote:
"Richard" == Richard Laager <rlaager@debian.org> writes:

     Richard> On 3/20/22 07:10, Felix Lechner wrote:
     >> If we accidentally formed a General Partnership, as has been
     >> suggested elsewhere

     Richard> Yes, that would be really dumb for a number of reasons.

The problem is that at least in the US, you can accidentally default to
a general partnership.
Effectively, if you are doing things together, and it cannot be shown
what you have instead, and mumble mumble I'm not a lawyer, a court may
conclude you are a general partnership.

So, it's more what steps have you taken to avoid being considered a
general partnership?
Unfortunately I cannot point to a lot of these steps for Debian.

If that's true, and I cannot say intelligently either way as IANAL, then that feels like a very strong reason that we _need_ to incorporate.

I have done a tax-exempt filing with the IRS. I'd be happy to discuss that with someone if that is helpful to anyone in the future. (At the moment, I'm not sure whether I'd feel comfortable volunteering to do such a filing for Debian.)

--
Richard