Re: Secret Ballots: How Secret

On Thu, Feb 17, 2022 at 04:14:34PM -0700, Sam Hartman wrote:

> You are absolutely right.
> And in fact Don proposes to embody a requirement in the constitution
> that would prevent plausible deniability in favor of allowing voters to
> confirm their votes were counted.
>
> And yet, we've been living with this trade off for DPL elections for the
> entire lifetime of the project.
>
> So, that's absolutely a weakness.
>
> Would you prefer that we not mandate that voters be able to verify their
> votes were counted so that we could have plausibel deniability?

For the record, I am not actually in favor of holding secret votes, even
thought I fully agree with the developpers who felt that voting might
open them to abuse, because the issues raised by GR 2021_002 are much
more serious than the secret vote issue, viz, that the Debian project is
not the collection of opinions of its members since the members only
agreed to fulfill the social contract when acting on behalf of Debian
and not in general, and that their opinions outside of this is a private
matter that must not be probbed, and that even the agregate result of
the vote is already leaking information that Debian project has no
purpose to gather and publish.

I feel that holding secret vote for all GRs would be detrimental without
adressing the real issue.

> Are there aspects of DPL elections that make this less of an issue for
> DPL elections than other issues?

Yes. The DPL choice is always going to be subjective and not implying
any particular opinion. the vote is kept secret as a courtesy to the
candidates. This is different for GR.

Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.