Re: Informal Discussion: Identities of Voters Casting a Particular Ballot are No Longer Public

On Mon, Feb 14, 2022 at 02:55:45PM +0100, Philip Hands wrote:
> Antonio Terceiro <terceiro@debian.org> writes:

> >> I very much agree with the above.
> >> I don't see why I would want to hide my opinion from the other DDs.
> >
> > Making the ballot secret makes it possible for one to not do so if they
> > feel that is against their best interests, but does not stop you from
> > stating your opiniion publicly.
>
> Under what circumstances are we expecting people to think that letting
> other DDs know how they voted is going to be against their interests?
>
> If we are assuming that some DDs might start attacking people based on
> the way they voted, then I'd suggest that it's more important to eject
> such toxic people from Debian than it is to try to mitigate their
> toxicity using measures that have negative side-effects.

Hm, I think I missed the bit where Thomas was replying specifically to
the suggestion of the list being only available to project members. I
think that is probably OK.

On the other hand, in elections in general, vote secrecy is one way of
discouraging an external party from coercing voters into voting a
certain way.  For this they need proof of how each voter voted.

In such a scenario, someone wanting to mess with Debian would be able to
to this by compromising (in one way or another) a single DD to have
access to the tally, and then be able to verify whether the votes they
expected to get via coercion are in place.

Maybe it is too far fetched to imagine Debian is at any risk of being
attacked like this, but I think making votes secret is easy enough that
the burden of doing it is minimal.