Re: Secret Ballots: Handling Disagreement with the Secretary

Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> writes:

> On Sun, Jan 30, 2022 at 03:58:50PM +0000, Holger Levsen roughly wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 29, 2022 at 03:22:24PM -0700, Sam Hartman wrote:
>> > In my proposal all ballots would be secret, and the secretary would not
>> > make a determination about that.
>> what's the definition of 'secret' here?
>
> I'd still like to hear an answer to this question and thus I hope
> it will be addressed in the upcoming proposal.

I too would also like an answer to that.

My reason (and maybe Holger's too) is I'd say that there is no
possibility of guaranteeing real permanent absolute secrecy in a vote
that we can practically conduct over the Internet (at least, not one
where the results are also trustworthy), so there is going to be some
sort of compromise, and it is essential to understand the nature of that
compromise in order to come to any conclusion about whether it might be
a good idea to do the the thing that we're really talking about.

Cheers, Phil.