Re: General Resolution: Change the resolution process: results

On Mon, Jan 31, 2022 at 11:44:16AM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Marc Haber <mh+debian-vote@zugschlus.de> writes:
>
> > The one we just had was tl;dr to me. The people pushing it gave me zero
> > motivation to read it, I spent my spare time on my packages.

While I can't speak for Russ, I did try to summarize in "normal"
language what I was trying to accomplish with my proposal in its
rationale.

I don't know if that was clear enough (I guess it wasn't, given your
message here), but hey, I tried.

> As the person proposing this GR, I think that's a perfectly reasonable
> stance to take, and to be quite honest one of my goals was to *not* give
> people a (negative) motivation to feel like they have to be involved.

+1.

Some votes have a big impact on what we do in Debian, and they matter.
This one? Not so much. It was mostly a bug fix, and while I had some
strong disagreements with Russ on one particular bit of his proposal,
when all is said and done it's just a method, and we can reverse it
again if we decide it doesn't work.

If you decide that the political side of Debian is irrelevant, then you
should feel free to ignore all that and focus on your packages. I don't
think that's wrong! The technical side of the project is probably the
most important one, and while you should of course not complain if the
politics aren't going your way if you decide not to partake in them, I
don't think you should be in any way required to be part of it, or be
ashamed if you think it's not for you.

Our voting system is just a slightly more formal way of essentially the
same thing as asking people to raise their hands during a keynote talk
at debconf, after all.

--
     w@uter.{be,co.za}
wouter@{grep.be,fosdem.org,debian.org}