Re: Opposing strict time limits

Hi Russ,

On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 11:22:36AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> To fully achieve what Wouter is calling for would therefore *also* require
> a constitutional change.  It's not a preservation of the existing status
> quo.  I know Wouter knows that, but I wanted to make sure it was explicit
> for everyone else.

I concur -- and to expand on this a bit, I'd like to clarify a bit:

I think we agree that the rules for timing in the current constitution
are a bit messed up. The initial proposer of a GR has powers to affect
the timing that don't strictly belong with that person, and these powers
can be abused. I think we both agree that this needs adjusting.

The difference is in how we would adjust things: your draft proposes to
take that power away entirely, whereas I think a better way forward is
to adjust who can use those powers.

I also don't want to create a situation where the process is fully
unbounded. Currently, effectively everyone can call for a vote at pretty
much any time after a minimal time has passed. I think this is a
feature, not a bug, of our current system, and I want to retain that
feature. I understand that you disagree.

--
     w@uter.{be,co.za}
wouter@{grep.be,fosdem.org,debian.org}