Re: What does FD Mean

Mathias Behrle <mbehrle@debian.org> writes:

> * Sam Hartman: " Re: What does FD Mean" (Fri, 02 Apr 2021 20:53:05 -0400):

>>     >> But for a two option situation, option A do the thing and option
>>     >> B FD, FD probably does map to no fairly well.
>>
>>     Mathias> I would really like to avoid this situation, where FD is
>>     Mathias> expected to leave room for such wide interpretations,
>>     Mathias> especially if it is avoidable as easy as to put at least
>>     Mathias> some of the alternative options on the ballot. A ballot
>>     Mathias> with only 'yes' and 'FD' should IMO just not happen.
>>
>> I think it's fine in cases where you have fairly strong confidence that
>> yes will win.
>> Let's say that for some reason we really needed a project statement that
>> the GPL was a DFSG-free license.
>> I think yes|FD would be fine.
>> Or for an example that actually happened, we needed a GR to replace
>> chairman with chair in the constitution.
>> In that case, I think yes|FD is fine.
>
> I see your use case, but I still think that even on such a topic there could be
> someone who thinks that the topic - for whatever reason - shouldn't be
> discussed at all. Why should they vote FD?

The reason we have it as FD rather than some explicit end-of-discussion
option is to avoid the disappointment that would result from a majority
of the project voting for e.g. "Just Stop!"

... and the discussion continuing nonetheless.

At least with FD you know what to expect.

Also, for the people that want to continue going on about something, I
think FD is more likely to make them calm down than an explicit
prohibition against which they could feel righteous anger[1].

Cheers, Phil.

[1] prompting long and tedious threads about Freedom of Speech.
    If you're looking for less discussion, vote FD ;-)