Re: Question to the DPL candiates: secret ballots

On 4/2/21 4:07 PM, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Dear Jonathan and Sruthi,
>
> I recently wrote on my blog « Like many GRs, it will divide Debian and
> leave scars, at least a tally sheet of who voted what, and who voted
> like whom. »  I would like to elaborate and ask you:
>
> Would you as a developer agree to have all votes secret, and would you
> as a DPL invest some time into making this happen ?
>
> I think that our public votes are a vulnerability.  We are in an era of
> data harvesting, global surveillance, and large-scale manipulations.  I
> think that it would take little time to a junior analyst to compile the
> tally sheets of our GRs, delineate the cracks in our community and find
> on which people to press in order to push our project in directions we
> do not want (including implosion).
>
> Is that paranoia ?

Yes it is.

I don't think 3 letters agency cares about a Debian statement for RMS,
neither they would care who voted what for our CoC or welcoming everyone
GR, or even who voted for systemd. And you know what? It's also possible
that the vast majority of DDs don't care about these as well... (just
see how many didn't care voting...)

> This said, I think it is time to vote anonymously.

I may be a dissonant voice in the current discussion, but at least *I*
do not mind if my vote is disclosed: I take the full responsibilities
attached to my voting, and I'm ok for other DDs to know my opinion. I
would understand if anyone fears harassment after the vote if it is
disclosed, and that would be a good reason, but I do not share the view
that there's a high risk for this to happen. This vote is a lot less
important than many in these threads think.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)