Re: Cancel "culture" is a threat to Debian

Le jeudi 01 avril 2021 à 08:40:26-0400, Roberto C. Sánchez a écrit :
> On Thu, Apr 01, 2021 at 01:58:49PM +0200, Pierre-Elliott Bécue wrote:

> > > Nod, that's exactly what it was. Maybe polite requests aren't
> > > effective enough for some people.
> >
> > Some people tend to only see coercion when one asks them something
> > strongly.
> >
> > I guess it's because they are keen on having conflicts and fights
> > instead of trying to remain on a civilized terrain.
> >
> So, then is everybody always wrong?
>
> Participants on Debian mailing lists calling for civility have been
> accused of sealioning [0] (or similar bad-faith) not that long ago.
>
> Either: (a) everybody is expected to remain civil and act accordingly,
> or, (b) everybody is allowed to escalate according to their own view of
> the situation or their own personal feelings (e.g., frustration,
> perceived opression, etc.).
>
> The situation where some are allowed or even encouraged to escalate
> because they are expressing a "favored" or "right" opinion and others
> are specifically targeted and decried for escalating (or even simply
> calling for civility) because they are expressing a "disfavored" or
> "wrong" opinion is a literal double-standard.  We should be above that.

My point is "when one asks another to stop something", it's not
necessarily with a "or I'll slap you", "or I'll have you banned" or
whatever you wanna think about. That's all.

I don't see how your answer is relevant to that.

Regarding your last paragraph, it seems to me that many things you state
here are subjective. When people are freewheeling they get remarks
wherever they come from. But indeed, when some people express ideas
against Debian's CoC, the reaction is stronger. This is not a double
standard. It's just that there is a ruleset we try to work with, and
those going against are more prone to get remarks.

What a surprise.

--
Pierre-Elliott Bécue
GPG: 9AE0 4D98 6400 E3B6 7528  F493 0D44 2664 1949 74E2