Re: Draft GR for resolution process changes

* Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> [2021-11-08 08:18]:
Probably the simplest fix would be to add something like this as a new
point A.0.3.  Do people think it would be worth adding something like
this?

   If a proposal (or ballot option; see section §A.1) requires some
   number of sponsors N, only the first N Developers indicating they
   sponsor the proposal become sponsors for the purposes of the
   subsequent process. Further sponsorships are not counted. Similarly,
   if more sponsors are needed (such as in cases of withdrawal; see
   section §A.2), only the number of Developers required to meet the
   minimum number of sponsors are added as sponsors. The Project
   Secretary determines the order in which sponsors indicate support.

(I'm really not happy with the wording of that, and am finding it
difficult to word clearly for some reason.  Suggestions welcome, if folks
think this is something the proposal should try to address.)
Given that any Developer can propose a new ballot option anyway, it
feels overly restrictive that a single dissenting voice can block
amendments. Instead, I'd like to treat this more like a fork; anyone
objecting to a change is free to introduce the original version as
their own ballot option, subject to the usual sponsorship
requirements. In practise, this should work like this:

1. The proposer amends their ballot option.

2. If no sponsor objects to the change, we are done.
   Otherwise, continue.

3. If someone objects, the proposer decides if he wants to revert
   the amendment. If yes, we are done. Otherwise, continue.

4. The first objector becomes new proposer for the original
   ballot option, and the original proposer becomes proposer
   for the amended version.

5. Any Developer can sponsor or withdraw from both versions as they
   see fit. By default, i.e. if no other statement is issued, any
   sponsor who objected to the amendment is assumed to have withdrawn
   from the amended version and still sponsoring the old version. All
   other sponsors are assumed to have withdrawn from the old version
   and are sponsoring the amended version.

6. Any version that lacks the required number of sponsors will be
   withdrawn.

Cheers
Timo

--
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁   │ Timo Röhling                                       │