Re: Opposing strict time limits

Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> wrote on 22/10/2021 at 19:42:13+0200:

> [[PGP Signed Part:No public key for 2DFC519954181296 created at 2021-10-22T19:42:07+0200 using RSA]]
> Hi all,
>
> Let me start by apologizing for taking this long to send this email. The
> attentive reader will have noticed my name in Russ' original draft as
> one of the people who reviewed it. When Russ sent his initial proposal,
> I started drafting a large response that I lost due to a silly mistake
> on my end. Life then intervened, and I didn't have time to follow up
> until now.
>
> That said,
>
> I think introducing a fixed time limit on a GR is a bad idea, for
> various reasons.
>
> First of all, no matter how careful we choose a time limit based on
> historical precedence, I think it is naive to assume we will be able to
> come up with a time limit that will always work for all future GR
> proposals. Some issues are contentious, and they take time to work
> through them. In my reading, the longest we have ever taken to decide on
> a vote was for GR 2006-003, where the initial proposal was sent in June
> but the eventual vote only opened in September[1].
>
> An argument that has been brought forward to avoid that problem is that
> it is theoretically possible to discuss matters on this list before
> starting the formal procedure. While that is true, I would like to point
> out that the whole reason for the introduction of this time limit is so
> that people can't game the system by using procedural measures to delay
> the vote, possibly indefinitely. If we don't want to allow people to
> delay the vote, we should *also* not allow people to game the system by
> forcing a vote prematurely, through proposing a formal GR when someone
> else offers incomplete ideas that they would have preferred to see
> discussed first. Again, I would point to GR 2006-003 where something
> along those lines happened[1].
>
> I fear that in order to avoid that pitfall, people may wish to discuss
> things in private amongst themselves rather than posting something to
> the -vote list when they want to start looking at a problem, which will
> give them an unfair time advantage.
>
> Additionally, it is not always possible to foresee all of the complexity
> in a problem space; we may be quite a bit into the formal discussion of
> the ballot when we decide that there are some significant issues that
> require exploring and which would benefit from more time. If everyone
> involved agrees that this is a good thing, then I think we should allow
> for that possibility; the proposed procedure does not do so, and I fear
> that this may result in rushed proposals that are suboptimal and do not
> resolve the issue at hand.
>
> An argument that has been brought forward to remedy this is that it is
> theoretically possible to advance a vote for the default option in such
> a case. While this is true, that is problematic: first of all, it will
> [...]

While there is a lot of sensible points here, I am quite convinced that
having no strong time limit can and already have done more harm than
what this time limit could do.

I think that if people are not able to explore a discussion in several
weeks, then there's no hope for it to be in a better shape with one more
month.

Of course, if the future shows otherwise, we could still rollback this
particular aspect.

Cheers!

--
PEB