Re: Draft proposal for resolution process changes

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

> The process I'm proposing arguably favors the opposite side from my own in
> the TC decision that primarily prompted this change and would have
> prevented the process that indeed happened.
> But with the benefit of a few
> years of hindsight and watching subsequent GRs, I think a simpler process
> with clearer rules and less flexibility would have had a better social
> outcome for the project.

I think you're right.

FWIW, the idea that any TC vote so evenly split that a casting vote
might be required by the chair should instead transition to a GR is
growing on me.

> I find having an explicit process to use as a structure for navigating a
> disagreement to be calming and supportive.

Amen.

> It's easy to be part of a community when everyone agrees.  It's powerful
> and delightful to be part of a community when people disagree but the
> community still works together with respect and mutual support.  Creating
> process that allows myself and others to do this more easily is part of
> how I enjoy contributing to a community.

Russ, this is a brilliant expression of why I so strongly value your
participation in Debian.  Thank you for being here.

Bdale