Re: Draft proposal for resolution process changes

Hubert Chathi <uhoreg@debian.org> writes:
> On Mon, 27 Sep 2021 18:51:05 -0700, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> said:

>> A.3. Calling for a vote

>> 3. Minor changes to ballot options under point A.1.5 may be made up
>> until 24 hours before the call for a vote is issued. However, if they
>> are made after or within 24 hours of the end of the discussion period,
>> the Project Secretary must agree the change does not alter the meaning
>> of the ballot option...

> The "must" makes it sound like the Project Secretary is obligated to
> agree that any such proposed change doesn't alter the meaning, which I
> suspect is not what was intended.  Perhaps instead,

>     However, if they are made after or within 24 hours of the end of the
>     discussion period, and Project Secretary agrees that the change does
>     not alter the meaning of the ballot option, the Project Secretary
>     will allow 24 hours for objections before issuing the call for a
>     vote.

Good catch.

I think your wording has another alternate meaning: such a change could be
made and if the Project Secretary *doesn't* agree that it does not alter
the meaning, the change is still made but there's then no waiting period.
I now have this:

3. Minor changes to ballot options under point A.1.5 may not be made after
   or within 24 hours of the end of the discussion period unless the
   Project Secretary agrees the change does not alter the meaning of the
   ballot option and (if it would do so) warrants delaying the vote. The
   Project Secretary will allow 24 hours for objections after any such
   change before issuing the call for a vote.

which I think fixes the problem without ambiguity.