Re: Draft proposal for resolution process changes

Am Tue, Sep 28, 2021 at 09:10:05AM -0700 schrieb Russ Allbery:
> Karsten Merker <merker@debian.org> writes:
> > Am Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 06:51:05PM -0700 schrieb Russ Allbery:

> >> 2. Details regarding voting.
> >>
> >>    Votes are decided by the voting counting mechanism described in A.6.
> >>    The voting period lasts for one week or until the outcome is no longer
> >>    in doubt, whichever is shorter. Members may change their votes.
>
> > How can be determined that the outcome is no longer in doubt before the
> > voting period ends if members can change their vote at any point in time
> > until the end of the voting period?
>
> Yeah, this wording bugs me too.  It's pre-existing and I didn't try to fix
> it, but we probably should.  The simplest fix (including a typo fix for
> the first line) would be:
>
>     Votes are decided by the vote counting mechanism described in A.6.
>     The voting period lasts for one week or until the outcome is no longer
>     in doubt assuming no members change their votes, whichever is shorter.
>     Members may change their votes until the voting period ends.
>
> It's still a bit awkward.  Better phrasing is welcome.  I'm not sure I see
> a better fix; we do want members to be able to change their votes, but we
> don't want every vote to have to take a full week.

How about a phrasing along the following lines?

"Votes are decided by the vote counting mechanism described in
A.6.  By default, the voting period lasts for one week.  Members
may change their votes during the voting period.  The TC can -
even after the voting period has started - declare the voting
period to end earlier if all members of the TC agree to that."

Regards,
Karsten
--
Hiermit widerspreche ich ausdrücklich der Nutzung sowie der Weitergabe
meiner personenbezogenen Daten für Zwecke der Werbung sowie der Markt-