Re: Draft proposal for resolution process changes

Richard Laager <rlaager@debian.org> writes:

> If I understand correctly, the updated GR process handles this
> differently, by extending the clock on changes and prohibiting such
> changes at "the last minute" (the end of the maximum discussion period).

Correct.

> That could be another option here, which would have the benefit of
> consistency. But the TC is a different situation than a GR, and they
> don't need to be exactly the same process.

Yes, and I couldn't figure out a way to use that approach and also allow
the TC to call for a vote whenever they're ready, which is the normal case
and which we don't want to rule out (we don't want every TC vote to have
to take two plus weeks).  The fix for the GR relies on having a fixed
schedule for when the vote will start that's known at any given moment.

One of the things I realized while drafting this is that the TC process
wants to override more than half of the regular process because a lot of
things work differently with a small group and no sponsorship
requirements, and it makes sense for them to just have their own process.
It's much easier for the TC to just vote further discussion if something
happens that they don't like, for example.