Re: Draft proposal for resolution process changes

On 2021-09-28 at 11:44, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Gard Spreemann <gspr@nonempty.org> writes:
>
>> Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:
>
>>> A.2. Withdrawing ballot options:
>>>
>>> […]
>>>
>>> 4. The default option cannot be withdrawn.
>
>> This is the most minor of near-useless pedantic comments on my
>> part, but A.2.4 seems redundant: If only the proposer of a ballot
>> option may withdraw it (A.2.1), and the default option has no
>> proposer (A.1.7), then we don't really need a separate rule saying
>> that the default cannot be withdrawn.
>
> Yes, I completely agree there's no technical need for this.  I
> included it anyway because it felt like it added some clarity and
> meant that the reader didn't have to chase the logic down through
> several other provisions to be sure.  There are a few other places
> like this in the text (mostly around repeating phrases) where I erred
> on the side of clarity rather than brevity.
>
> I can certainly change this if people would prefer.  It's possible
> that I overcorrected for how tricky I find it to interpret the
> current wording.

As a possibility to consider, what about folding this into A.1.7? That
already states that the default option cannot be amended, which likewise
would seem to follow from the fact that it has no proposer and thus no
one to make or accept amendments.

Something like "The default option has no proposer or sponsors, and as
such, can neither be amended nor withdrawn." would seem to convey all
aspects in one concise sentence - although it does have the downside
that it would be referring to withdrawal prior to the section where
withdrawal is discussed.

(I'll note that I'm barely even a contributor, certainly not a DD, so my
voice here has significantly less relevance than might be ideal for
participation in such a discussion.)

--
   The Wanderer