Re: General resolution: ratify https://github.com/rms-open-letter/rms-open-letter.github.io

Sruthi Chandran <srud@disroot.org> writes:

> On March 25, 2021 2:24:16 AM GMT+05:30, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
>>Under 4.1.5 of the Constitution, the developers by way of GR are the
>>body
>>who has the power to issue nontechnical statements.
>>
>>https://github.com/rms-open-letter/rms-open-letter.github.io/blob/main/index.md
>>is a statement which I believe Debian as a project, and not just
>>individual
>>Debian developers, should consider signing on to.
>>
>>This is a proposal for Debian to sign on to the statement, by adopting
>>the
>>text from that open letter via GR.
>>
> I have an alternate suggestion. Instead of signing the said letter, Debian can issue a position statement similar to the one released by FSF Europe. [1]
>
> Will share the amended text if this idea has supporters.
>
>  [1] https://fsfe.org/news/2021/news-20210324-01.html

Thank you for bringing up the FSF Europe statement, Sruthi!

I personally have grave reservations about the original open letter, but
find the FSF Europe statement much more palatable. I would support a
statement that is more along these lines, but would have trouble
supporting a ratification of the original open letter.

 Best,
 Gard