Re: [draft] Cancel this year's in-person Debian Developers Conference DebConf20

Hello Martin,

Martin Zobel-Helas dijo [Fri, May 22, 2020 at 02:40:55PM +0200]:
> This is a draft for a GR I would like to propose.
>
> Cancel this year's in-person Debian Developers Conference DebConf20

As a member of the DebConf Committee, as a very-long-time organizer of
DebConf, and just as yet another fellow Debian Developer, I feel this
GR is out of line.

No decision has been made, even though the call for registration is
open. A date for the decision to be held (June 8) has been announced,
and we are all weighting in many factors. We have been discussing this
quite a bit within the team.

The decision should not be unifactorial --- Do we want to protect DDs
from infecting one another? From being vectors that bring an infection
back to their countries? Are we worried about the use of Debian funds?
Are we trying to protect the local organizing team from burning out
for "too little"? Do we want to protect the local organizing team from
burning out due to having to walk what they have already done, but
again for next year? Do we know if they are able (and willing) to
repeat their work commitment for next year?

There are many aspects to this decision, and we are gathering
information to be able to better decide. Rest assured, we will
announce this explaining as much as possible our reasoning.

If you disagree fundamentally with our reasoning, of course, you can
proceed with the GR. But presenting a GR before we even discuss it
with the people doing the work sounds somewhat entering the room and
kicking the table. Please, don't.

Cordially,

- Gunnar Wolf.