Re: Q to all candidates: NEW queue

Jean-Philippe MENGUAL
Le 27/03/2020 à 13:40, Lucas Nussbaum a écrit :
On 27/03/20 at 12:23 +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:
At least during my many years of Ubuntu archive administration I've actually
seen quite a lot of packages which contained non-distributable files, had
hilariously broken maintainer scripts (which could then also damage *other*
software on your system), and the like. For these an initial NEW review was
quite important.

That proposal is assuming that the "package gets reviewed, a bug is filed" step
actually happens timely, but that is precisely the problem -- with such a
workflow we would essentially stop having NEW review and just hope that someone
catches bad packages before they get released. So IMHO this is not a solution,
and only causes buggy packages to creep into unstable.

So in my original mail, I proposed that new packages would get
immediately accepted into unstable, but would still require a review
before migrating to testing. I believe that it's an interesting compromise,
because:
- while in unstable, they would get tested by our regular QA tools, that
   are likely to find some of the issues ftpmasters would have found
- it makes it possible for the maintainer to get early feedback from
   users, and to continue working on packaging reverse dependencies.
- it's unstable, so even if it's severely broken, it's probably not a
   big deal. We have lots of packages in unstable that have been severely
   broken for years anyway.
- it protects 'testing' (and our stable releases) from unreviewed
   packages.

Of course this only works if Debian doesn't get sued for copyright
infringement too often. I wonder if that would be a problem (it's
probably less likely to be a problem for packages in 'main' than for
packages in 'non-free').

How do you manage the license issue with a direct upload? For this reason, I would tend to suggest expermiental repo instead. ftpmasters would focus on license? IF they accept, good idea.

Regards

Lucas