Re: Q to all candidates: NEW queue

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 3:34 AM Lucas Nussbaum <lucas@debian.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For as long as I can remember, there has been complaints about the
> delays caused by NEW processing (and
> https://ftp-master.debian.org/stat.html shows that we constantly have
> 250-300 packages waiting to be processed).
>
> What is your diagnostic of this issue?
> What solutions do you envision about this issue? Is that just something
> that we have to live with?
>
> Specifically, Jonathan writes that he would like to "Reduce bottlenecks
> that affect our contributors.". That sounds like a good example.
>

> Personnally, I wonder if we are being overly cautious about NEW. I
> wonder if we could move to checking a posteriori (accept the package in
> unstable; maybe don't let it migrate to testing until it is reviewed).
>
> Lucas

I believe package count by itself lacks context. I would encourage FTPmasters
to add another metric to their graphs that include the average age of packages
in NEW, rather than just a count.

In addition to recruiting additional team members, which they are already
working on, I think FTPmasters needs to figure a way to get their heads out of
the weeds of the overwhelming work, and find a way to accept help, without
lowering quality.

Cheers,
Brian