Re: Costs of running a Debian foundation

On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 1:37 AM Wouter Verhelst <wouter@grep.be> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 12:46:09PM +0800, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> > So I'm more satisfied with the rationale of creating a Debian
> > foundation, although my concerns about the actual operations still
> > apply (i.e. how are you going to make sure you'll do a better job than
> > the TOs you're not happy with when there have been countless failures
> > of running non-profits in the past).
>
> I have to say that I share those concerns.
>
> Specifically, I believe that SPI was meant to be our foundation. That it
> grew into something more, and that it took several years for it to do
> what we needed it to do is unfortunate; but there is no reason to
> assume, from my point of view at least, that building another foundation
> to do what SPI couldn't do, will bring us more success.
>
> Brian, what's your view on that?

First off, I'd like to reiterate that I don't expect to end relationships with
our current TOs, including SPI. (I stated this in my platform, but there was
enough potential for misunderstanding that I want to reiterate.)

I also agree that when looking back at history, that SPI was meant to be the
Debian Foundation that I am advocating for now. However, the thought back then,
was that since Debian was doing all the work to set up a non-profit, that it
wouldn't be that much more work to provide the same services to other FLOSS
projects. At one point this expansion of scope threatened to overwhelm SPI, they
struggled for many years, but it appears they have found their stride now and
are successfully servicing over 40 projects today. This makes them one of the
largest homes for FLOSS projects today. It's a remarkable success story,
especially looking at how far SPI has come in not that long a time.

That said, when you are servicing over 40 projects, your priorities need to
change, and you MUST look at what you can do for ALL your projects, not just
your founding project.

In hindsight, it was a happy accident that SPI was created the way it was, and
grew into the multi-project home it did.

However, we - as a project - need to adapt as well. We realize that SPI has
grown into something great but cannot support the Debian project fully and to
the extent we need. We are large enough and have enough requirements in legal
and support services that it warrants founding our own foundations that will
permanently be aligned with the ever evolving goals of the Debian project.

What we do as a project isn't easy. We don't shy away from things because they
are hard, and have risk. We try to do things that we are right and worth doing.
In this case, I'll agree, it's not going to be easy. It will be a lot of work.
However, there are reasons to be optimistic.

1) Experience: We have Project Members that have a lot of experience running
   many different entities and know what has worked and what hasn't.
2) Depth: We are a large and well-respected project. Many people want to help,
   especially if they know it's going to help Debian.
   will remain there to support us, giving us time to do it right.

FreeBSD Foundation works, Postgres Foundation works, KDE e.V. works, Gnome
Foundation works, so we can make Debian Foundations work, too.

Cheers,
Brian