Re: Question to all: Outreach

Hello,

Missatge de Ulrike Uhlig <ulrike@debian.org> del dia dt., 17 de març
2020 a les 18:34:

> > Debian Outreach [...]
> > thas been a quite expensive to run for the real
> > benefit provided to Debian project.
>
> The questions you ask seem to rely on this observation of yours, that I
> find a little bit overly suggestive:
>
> - How do you measure benefit? And what is real or unreal about it?
> - And to what does "quite expensive" refer?

Thanks Ulrike for bringing up this point.

According to https://www.outreachy.org/sponsor/ Outreach student has a
cost of $6,500.
Last round, from December 2019 to March 2020, Debian got a couple
students, making a total cost of $13,000.
Add on top of that travel sponsorship for promoting for promoting
Debian Outreach coordinators (which I believe are not Debian
contributors nor developers, please correct me if I am wrong) on
finding students in conferences, which cost few other thousands in the
past year. The total cost was well above $20k for Debian, just for one
round. I find it "quite expensive" when comparing to volunteers work,
but I would like to know the opinion of the postulated DPLs on that
matter.

I have been trying to measure the return from such program but looking
at their mailing list for information,
  https://lists.debian.org/debian-outreach/
does not lead to any results or information. Maybe I am looking at the
wrong space?

Reading news,
  https://bits.debian.org/2019/11/welcome-outreachy-interns-2019-2020.html

I find really helpful the work those students are doing, but given
that has a cost, is it perfect? are there ways to improve? I would
really love to know next DPL view on the matter.

My best wishes,
--