Re: Reframing (was Re: Proposal: Reaffirm our commitment to support portability and multiple implementations)

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 05, 2019 at 08:32:28AM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:

> At minimum, "X is the default" means "you will get X if you don't take
> any action to avoid doing so". All definitions I can think of seem to
> share that baseline.

> At something like maximum, "X is the default" could be read to mean
> "getting anything other than X is not expected to be possible".

Debian also has a bit of a special role in that it is upstream to other
distributions, including the systemd-only Ubuntu and the
everything-except-systemd Devuan, in addition to being useful as a
standalone distribution, so the definition of "default" concerns not only
our direct, but also indirect users.

   Simon