Re: My analysis of the proposals

Hi,

I've CC-ed Benda, so he may answer too.

On 12/2/19 12:07 AM, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> As there currently aren't credible alternatives to systemd, not even at
> the level of Upstart, I think it's wrong to phrase the question in
> terms of whether Debian "supports innovation" and so on.

I don't agree. OpenRC is, these days, better than what Upstart was in
many ways. For example, it supports cgroups, it is state-full, and it
has process supervision [1] (all of which Upstart didn't have as a
feature). I cannot agree that OpenRC doesn't bring any innovation. Just
try it, it's easy:

apt-get install openrc sysvinit-core

reboot, and you're done. If you want more, you can replace sysv-init by
openrc-init (beware that the "reboot" command isn't implemented by
default, see the Gentoo doc for that...).

Writing a runscript is as easy as a systemd unit, and the page I link to
shows it's a little bit different, but largely as easy.

What needs to actually happen, IMO, is that sysv-rc dies in the favor of
OpenRC as a replacement, so that we have a way of getting completely rid
of the obsolete part of sysv-rc (ie: slowly replacing sysv-rc init
scripts by declarative runscripts) without loosing anything. Benda, why
don't you do that?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

[1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/OpenRC/supervise-daemon