Re: Question Under Proposal D: Compile Time Option

Thomas Goirand writes:
> On 11/29/19 11:32 PM, Sam Hartman wrote:
>> Ian, I find  that I'm not able to answer Simon's question with regard to
>> Proposal D.
>>
>> Imagine that we have a program that has compile time support for systemd
>> and for other mechanisms.  It provides enhanced functionality when built
>> against systemd, but when so built, it cannot run without systemd.
>>
>> It's packaged that way in Debian.
>> Someone files a bug with a patch that changes the compilation option to
>> support the non-systemd bug, removing the enhanced systemd
>> functionality.
>>
>> What does proposal D say about this?
>> Is the package RC buggy under proposal D until this patch is applied?
>> Does the maintainer have the option to retain the enhanced
>> functionality?
>
> Sam,
>
> Is this a real life case (if so, please name the package...), or just a
> pure fictional one, just because you love debating?

Some people have suggested to do this for policykit-1 to support other
implementations than systemd-logind for some functions.

The policykit-1 maintainers did not want to do this as it complicates
packaging and, more importantly, package relationships (it's very hard
to get the right packages installed in some cases in Debian's dependency
system; see [1] for a related example).

Ansgar

  [1] https://qa.debian.org/popcon-graph.php?packages=sysvinit-core+systemd-shim&show_installed=on&want_legend=on&beenhere=1