Re: Proposal: Reaffirm our commitment to support portability and multiple implementations

On Mon, 02 Dec 2019 at 04:26:53 +0100, Simon Richter wrote:
> My expectation was that with systemd, dbus activation functionality
> would have moved into the main systemd binary for better process
> tracking and to avoid code duplication with the other activation methods.

Yes ish, but on an opt-in basis (the D-Bus service integration file has to
refer to the corresponding systemd unit file via the SystemdService key).
Many (most?) system services and some session/user services do this.

For session/user services, this is only done when dbus-user-session is
in use - otherwise, the scope of the dbus-daemon and the scope of
`systemd --user` would be different, making it inappropriate to turn
D-Bus services into systemd user services.

On a systemd system, running systemd-cgls will show you which D-Bus
services have been delegated to systemd (they have their own cgroup
alongside dbus.service) and which ones have not (they are part of
the same cgroup as dbus-daemon).

    smcv