Re: Proposal: Reaffirm our commitment to support portability and multiple implementations

Simon Richter <sjr@debian.org> writes:

> That was a thread I started on debian-devel:

> https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2019/08/msg00278.html

> The resolution of that thread seemed to be that people were mostly fine
> with the dependency chain because every decision in the path makes
> sense, even if the end result does not.

> Without the package pin of systemd-sysv at -100, installing the
> "libwxgtk3.0-gtk3-dev" package causes an init system switch for me. With
> the package pin, apt finds no resolution even though one exists
> (#940965).

This is a point that Ian's proposal specifically addresses by accepting
the possibility that packages will be installable but not usable on
non-systemd systems in order to avoid these sorts of dependency chains.