Re: Question Under Proposal D: Compile Time Option

Le 29/11/2019 à 23:32, Sam Hartman a écrit :

> Ian, I find  that I'm not able to answer Simon's question with regard to
> Proposal D.
>
> Imagine that we have a program that has compile time support for systemd
> and for other mechanisms.  It provides enhanced functionality when built
> against systemd, but when so built, it cannot run without systemd.
>
> It's packaged that way in Debian.
> Someone files a bug with a patch that changes the compilation option to
> support the non-systemd bug, removing the enhanced systemd
> functionality.
>
> What does proposal D say about this?
> Is the package RC buggy under proposal D until this patch is applied?
> Does the maintainer have the option to retain the enhanced
> functionality?

Dear Sam,

I think the right fix would be to compile the package twice as "foo"
(for the systemd version) and "foo-non-systemd".

Another option would be to ship both versions in package "foo" and
decide at runtime which one to run, if technically feasible.

My understanding of D.7 is that, If someone provides a patch that
implements either of this in a maintainable fashion, this patch should
be accepted.

Kind regards, Thibaut.