Question Under Proposal D: Compile Time Option

Ian, I find  that I'm not able to answer Simon's question with regard to
Proposal D.

Imagine that we have a program that has compile time support for systemd
and for other mechanisms.  It provides enhanced functionality when built
against systemd, but when so built, it cannot run without systemd.

It's packaged that way in Debian.
Someone files a bug with a patch that changes the compilation option to
support the non-systemd bug, removing the enhanced systemd
functionality.

What does proposal D say about this?
Is the package RC buggy under proposal D until this patch is applied?
Does the maintainer have the option to retain the enhanced
functionality?