Re: Proposal: General Resolution on Init Systems and systemd Facilities

Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> writes:

> What I missed that this delay (of 6/12 month) is a delay for *-policy*
> about describing/defining such a feature. I thought it ment to prohibit
> people from using such new features.

It's a delay from the point at which Policy standardizes using systemd
services instead of an existing Debian equivalent to the point where
people should start doing that in the archive.

It doesn't affect upstream introducing new systemd-specific requirements.
It also doesn't affect packagers using systemd-specific features provided
that it doesn't break behavior on other init systems (adding hardening
only on systemd systems, for instance).

> I wonder why you dont prefer a fixed timeline then. 6 *or* 12 months.

Mostly it doesn't seem to matter that much.  :)