Re: [draft] Draft text on Init Systems GR

Hi Mike,

On Sat, Nov 09, 2019 at 09:48:03PM +0000, Mike Gabriel wrote:

> root@minobo:~# apt-rdepends -r systemd | wc -l

> 6598

It's not as bad as you think: the important package is systemd-sysv.

In buster:
$ apt-cache rdepends systemd-sysv
<systemd-sysv>

In bullseye:
systemd-sysv
Reverse Depends:
  systemd-cron
  dbus-user-session
 |xfce4-session
 |unattended-upgrades
  sysvinit-core
  sysvinit-core
  libvirt-daemon-system
  udev
  libpam-systemd
  runit-systemd
  runit-init
  runit-init
  prometheus-postgres-exporter
  prometheus-node-exporter
  prometheus-bind-exporter
  prometheus-apache-exporter
  prometheus-alertmanager
  prometheus
  profile-sync-daemon
  pk4
 |numad
  munin
  micro-httpd
  mender-client
 |mandos
  logrotate
  dbus-user-session
 |libguestfs0
 |init
  gpsd
  friendly-recovery
  exim4-base

The lines marked with a | have an alternative, e.g. numad has

    ..., systemd-sysv | cgmanager, ...

Several of these are not Depends, but Conflicts/Replaces relationships, but
I have no idea how to quickly filter them, and several like exim4-base have
alternatives, but these aren't shown here.

What I can confirm depends on systemd-sysv are

 - systemd-cron (not relevant, we have cron)
 - dbus-user-session (can be replaced by dbus-x11, although apt doesn't
   find that solution)
 - libvirt-daemon-system (real problem)
 - udev (not relevant, we have eudev)
 - libpam-systemd (not relevant, that is the integration for
   dbus-user-session & co)

So the only real issues at the moment are libvirt-daemon-system and apt
needing a manual poke when installing something that pulls in
dbus-user-session, such as libgtk.

   Simon