Re: Q: Do you believe in Supercow?

* David Kalnischkies <david@kalnischkies.de> [2019-04-01 22:02]:
> 1. I said you all mostly qualify as minor contributors, but that is

I've just renewed my contributions for another 10 years:
https://salsa.debian.org/apt-team/apt/merge_requests/58

> based mostly on contributing in bugreports more than a decade ago.
> You are in good company through: I am the newbie in the fellowship of
> the cow even through I am only a few weeks away from my 10 year
> anniversary!  Do you have any opinion on why it might be that way?
> Or better yet, an idea on how to change that?

A lot of the tools we rely on a daily basis are only maintained by one
developer or a small group of people.  It is quite unfortunate.

You can improve the documentation, point out things that are easy to
fix, blog about changes and generally create some "buzz" around it.

> 2. There are glimmers of dissatisfaction hidden between "bikesheds",
> "curl|sudo bash" and mentions of heretic tools like
> npm/yarn/cargo/….  Given a timemachine, infinite funds and
> unquestioned management powers, what would you have made APT
> developers do one/two/five/ten/twenty years ago to make you happy
> now?

Get adopted by RPM based distributions.

> 3. The package managers of the day of the languages of the day always
> seem to have a billion active contributors, hundreds of "nether knew
> I couldn't live without them before" features and are all around just
> great. Expect that they have this annoying problem solved by apt
> years ago, but all the advocates haven't realized it (yet). What is it?

Proper dependency resolution?

> 4. There is always the lingering question if Debian might become more or
> less important in the future, but asking you that seems unfair as most
> of you will not have a crystal ball. So my more realistic and totally
> technically objective question is: Do you believe APT will be more or
> less important (within Debian) in the future?

More, of course.  (That's was the right answer, yes? Yes?)

APT is vital to Debian and will continue to play a vital role.

> 5. Using the timemachine from before we move all past, present & future
> APT team members to a room on the 1st April 2040. How large do we need
> to make that bikeshed and what color will it have? And while we are
> talking bikeshed: What will be the major discussion points there?

Does lactose free milk and almond milk count?

(The EU says the latter doesn't.  <https://www.bbc.com/news/business-40274645>)

> 6. Have you mooed today?

My current address is 92, 92/1 Moo 3, and I'm not even joking!

> 7. I would have liked to give you 21 questions, but a ⅓ of that
> seems fine & I don't want to take too much of your time – and
> Supercow and I have some partying to do, so perhaps you have (half
> of) an answer already prepared you want to share with us but nobody
> has managed to ask the right question yet (so that the next apt
> release will be a botnet calculating the question)?

Thanks for the kind question.  There hasn't been anything yet I wanted
to mention that didn't come up.  However, I liked what I wrote about
cost vs benefit in a previous mail on debian-vote and wish I had put
that in the platform.

--
Martin Michlmayr
https://www.cyrius.com/