Re: Q to all candidates: increase diversity with DDs outside Europe and USA

* Adrian Bunk <bunk@debian.org> [2019-04-01 18:29]:
> > The DPL can encourage an inclusive community and cultural
> > understanding.  Just creating more awareness about stumbling blocks
> > that people face helps because it many cases people simply have no
> > idea (e.g. the visa issue mentioned above).  I've definitely learned a
> > lot through my involvement in Debian. (And after spending a few months
> > in the southern hemisphere last year, I'm less likely to write
> > "summer" and "winter" to refer to certain months ;)
>
> Should Debconf move away from always being held when there is winter
> in the Southern Hemisphere and summer vacation only for people living
> in the Northern Hemisphere?

I'm not the right person to answer that (because I don't think I'm
representative, e.g. I don't have children and I might be more
flexibility in general).

Obviously, there are some cases when DebConf has to be held during the
holiday period (because that's when university students are away and
uni accommodation becomes available).  But otherwise, I think DebConf
should be flexible.  It would be good to maintain some regularly (e.g.
12 months +/-4 months) but *personally* I don't see why DebConf has to
be in July/August.

Is this something that has been discussed before?  In any case, the
DebConf team is the right team to make this decision (but of course if
timing is a major issue for some people the DPL can be involved in a
dialogue about this topic).

--
Martin Michlmayr
https://www.cyrius.com/