Re: Bikeshedding

Hi Jelmer

On 2019/04/01 11:00, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
>> In general, I think so. I'm unsure about the first "must" though, I tend
>> to like that we're not so rigid and inflexible in our policies that we
>> can't cater for a few exceptions. For example, I could understand that
>> packagers of a VCS system would want to host their work in such a VCS,
>> for example...
>>
>> """
>> $ debcheckout -d bzr
>> type	bzr
>> url	https://code.launchpad.net/~debian-bazaar/debian/sid/bzr/unstable
>> """
>
> As the primary maintainer of Bazaar in Debian, I find it convenient to
> maintain the Bazaar packaging in Bazaar but I would be very happy to
> see all packages move to Git on salsa if that enables improved tooling
> across the archive.
>
> The Vcs-* headers were a major improvement at the time they were
> introduced. At the time it was unclear what the dominant Vcs would be,
> but git has long since emerged as the dominant VCS for Debian
> packages.
>
>> I'm not fundamentally against that being a "must", but we should just be
>> aware that there might be some use cases that we'll end up sacrificing
>> in order to make such a unification of source control hosting possible.
>
> What kind of use cases do you have in mind that wouldn't work with Git on salsa?

I didn't spend much time thinking about such cases, but I think your
feedback is great because it's probably one of the most obvious cases
that I could think of, and if you're open to migrating that packaging to
git/salsa then I think that's already a great sign.

-Jonathan

--
  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) <jcc>
  ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Debian Developer - https://wiki.debian.org/highvoltage