Re: Question to Martin: How are your Grants and Paid DPL Proposals Differnt than Dunc-Tanc

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 08:25:14AM +0100, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> On 15347 March 1977, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
>
> > As a random factoid related to this: in the Debian contributors survey
> > that we ran a while ago, ~18% of the respondents who declared to be
> > Debian contributors also declared to be paid (at least in part) for
> > their contributions [1].
>
> I think there is a difference between someone random paying them and
> Debian doing so. (Or a TO to be exact).

Agreed, there is.

But I was following up specifically to Sam's point that "there would be
two classes of developers and that volunteers would be
frustrated/disappointed they were not getting paid" --- with respect to
that specific point, who pays doesn't seem relevant to me.

(And with respect to my other point about employer influence, the fact
that it is not Debian paying makes things actually *worse*, not better.)

Cheers
--
Stefano Zacchiroli . zack@upsilon.cc . upsilon.cc/zack . . o . . . o . o
Computer Science Professor . CTO Software Heritage . . . . . o . . . o o