Re: Q to all candidates: Universal Operating System

* Jose Miguel Parrella <bureado@debian.org> [2019-03-20 07:48]:
> Do candidates think Debian "competes" for "share"/"mindshare" of users
> and contributors in the "Linux distro" category?

Yes, absolutely.

I don't want to bring a Brexit analogy, but everything is connected.
A happy Debian user will recommend Debian to their friends.  Some of
those friends will start to use Debian.  Some of them will become
Debian contributors.  And so on.

If that user had recommended Arch Linux because the documentation is
so good (just to give an example), we would have missed out from
having several new users and contributors.

We should ask ourselves why some Debian users are moving away.  What
can we improve in Debian?

BTW, I also believe that the Linux community as a whole needs to ask
this question because a lot of people (including developers) have
moved from Linux to macOS.

> And if so, what do they think users and contributors expect from a
> "universal" distro in 2020?

I don't know.  But I feel that the Linux world is increasingly at odds
with what "normal" users want (at least on the desktop).  They want
something polished that just works.

We should probably find out...

> Do candidates think that Debian has far more technical deliverables
> than packages in a repo plus installers? And if so, do candidates
> think the organizational structure [1] accurately reflects this?
> Would DPL candidates propose changes to the organizational
> structure? How would they use, for example, delegations to re-shape
> the org structure?

I'm not entirely sure I understand the question correctly.  I was
going to say that Debian is of course more than packages and the
installer.  Documentation, artwork... partnerships... the support
network, etc.  But you write "technical deliverables" and I'm not sure
what you mean.

As with several other questions, I find myself wanting to ask: "what
do *you* think?"

I think whoever becomes DPL should go back and read these -vote
threads to gather ideas and questions.

--
Martin Michlmayr
https://www.cyrius.com/