Re: having public irc logs?

On Thu, Apr 06, 2017 at 08:44:20AM +0000, Gianfranco Costamagna wrote:
> Hello Mehdi and Chris,
>

> Debian has a "we don't hide things" wording in his constitution.
>
> However we don't have a public irc log system, and most
>
> of the conversations between us are happening there.
>
> How do you relate to that issue? Do you see it as a problem,
>
> or do you think people should join irc to read our conversations?
>
> (channels protected by a passphrase are of course out of this question).

Please no.

Most of our IRC channels are public, and that's how it should be.
However, there's a difference between "anyone can join and follow the
conversation now", and "anyone can read me being in a bad mood and
saying things I'll regret later for all eternity". For one thing, if you
see me being in a bad mood and ranting aloud, you might want to ask
what's going on, and I could realize that I'm misbehaving (as per our
CoC). Not so with public IRC logs.

We do have meetbot, whichi is useful for meetings. Some of us (me
included) do keep their IRC client running "always"[1], and keep
private logs pretty much forever. I have been known to sometimes quote
from that IRC log publicly[2]. There is a world of difference between
doing that and making *all* our IRC conversations public, however.

Transparency is a good thing, but so is privacy.

[1] Servers do get rebooted, and sometimes you forget to restart the
clint. That's a detail, obviously.
[2] See my .sig ;-)

--
< ron> I mean, the main *practical* problem with C++, is there's like a dozen
       people in the world who think they really understand all of its rules,